[texbirds] The June Report for the 2014 Game - A Slightly Bigger Patch

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 17:06:52 -0500

Greetings All
This year's game, titled 'A Slightly Bigger Patch' is to see how many species
of butterfly, amphibian, reptile, bird, and mammal I can find in my
home region.
The LEAS region includes fifteen counties (Bailey, Lamb, Hale, Floyd, Motley,
Cochran, Hockley, Lubbock, Crosby, Dickens, Yoakum,Terry, Lynn, Garza,
and Kent)
and, with portions of the region below andatop the Caprock Escarpment, offers a
fairly wide variety of habitats.  My goals for the year are 75 species of
butterfly, 10 species of amphibian, 25 species of reptile, 300 species of bird,
and 25 species of mammal.

June was a very slow month, as expected, and I added very little in the way of
any taxonomical category - though reptiles and mammals surprised me a bit -
thanks to many very early morning hours of getting to Breeding Bird Surveys. All
in all, I located 35 species of butterfly, 9 species of amphibian, 17 species of
reptile, 87 species of bird, and 24 species of mammal during the month.
This brought the totals for the year up to 58 species of butterfly (73%), 12
species of amphibian (120%), 28 species of reptile (112%), 256 species of bird
(85%), and 35 species of mammal (140%).

As mentioned in a separate and earlier post, Rich Kostecke is now
quite far ahead
of me with 262 species of birds (to my 256) in his fifteen-county region and I
expect the situation to worsen as fall migration kicks in.

Without further ado, the June list for the LEAS region - with new additions
*sked.

Funereal Duskywing
Horace's Duskywing*
Common Checkered Skipper