[texbirds] The Floydada BBS - Full Report

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 18:37:41 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:

I managed to complete (barely) the Floydada Breeding Bird Survey this morning.
I say 'barely' because a recently fallen 0.15 inches of rain had made the dirt
roads just tacky enough, in general, and more than damp enough, in low spots,
to be 'interesting'.  Bird-wise, diversity was very low due to the complete
absence of standing water.  The route, in most years, features anywhere from
2-20 small to very large playas.  This year the only hint of dampness: some mud
in the ditches along the aforementioned dirt roads.  The good news: Western
Kingbirds and Grasshopper Sparrows seem to be bouncing back from last year's
very poor showing.  The bad news: not a single Ring-necked Pheasant or
Dickcissel along what has, until the current drought, been a very good route
for these two species ... and very few Western Meadowlarks ... though Eastern
Meadowlarks had an unusually strong, for this route, performance.

A complete list of critters seen along the route:

1 Common Checkered Skipper

8 Pipevine Swallowtails
2 Black Swallowtails

132 Checkered Whites