[texbirds] The Canyon Lakes of Lubbock - October Update

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 10:24:03 -0600

Greetings All:
My second game for the year (competing only against my self-set goals) is
to see how many species of butterfly, amphibian, reptile, bird, and mammal
I can find and photograph along Lubbock's Canyon Lakes - running from the
west loop to the east loop.

My goals for the year - 50 species of butterfly, 5 species of amphibian, 10
species of reptile, 200 species of bird, and 10 species of mammal - with
90%, overall, documented via photography.

I did pretty well in October though it was not as good for wandering, late
season butterflies as I hoped. This dashes my hopes of meeting the
butterfly goal as we do not get new butterflies, as a rule, in November or
December. Birds were also pretty good and, though I won't meet my
numerical goal (both migration seasons were just too poor), I did get a lot
of photographs of species I had seen but not photographed earlier in the
year.

All in all, I picked up 24 species of butterfly, 0 species of amphibian, 4
species of reptile, 90 species of bird, and 7 species of mammal bringing my
totals for the year up to 45 species of butterfly (90%), 1 species of
amphibian (20%), 12 species of reptile (120%), 160 species of bird (80%),
and 13 species of mammal (130%) for 2015.

Of these 231 critters, 195 species have been photographed (84%) so far this
year. I may not be able to get up to 5 species of amphibian or up to 200
species of bird but it is beginning to look better for making the 90%
photographed standard.

The October list with new species for the year denoted with an * and newly
photographed species for the year denoted with a (y):

Funereal Duskywings
Common Checkered Skipper
Orange Skipperling
Fiery Skipper