[texbirds] The Canyon Lakes of Lubbock - February Update

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 14:01:55 -0600

Greeting All:
My second game for the year (competing only against my self-set goals) is
to see how many species of butterfly, amphibian, reptile, bird, and mammal
I can find and photograph along Lubbock's Canyon Lakes - running from the
west loop to the east loop.

My goals for the year - 50 species of butterfly, 5 species of amphibian, 10
species of reptile, 200 species of bird, and 10 species of mammal - with
90%, overall, documented via photography.

February saw some progress with 3 species of butterfly, 0 species of
amphibian, 1 species of reptile, 54 species of bird, and 1 species of
mammal bringing my totals for the year up to 4 species of butterfly (8%), 0
species of amphibian (0%), 1 species of reptile (10%), 73 species of bird
(37%), and 2 species of mammal (20%) for 2015 of which 53 species have been
photographed (66%).

Things will hopefully pick up in March when butterflies (easily
photographed) start picking up.

The February list with new species denoted with an * and newly photographed
species denoted with a (y):

Orange Sulphur
Mourning Cloak *(y)
Goatweed Leafwing*