[texbirds] The Canyon Lakes of Lubbock - April Update

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 14:05:35 -0500

Greeting All:
My second game for the year (competing only against my self-set goals) is
to see how many species of butterfly, amphibian, reptile, bird, and mammal
I can find and photograph along Lubbock's Canyon Lakes - running from the
west loop to the east loop.

My goals for the year - 50 species of butterfly, 5 species of amphibian, 10
species of reptile, 200 species of bird, and 10 species of mammal - with
90%, overall, documented via photography.

April saw less progress than expected (a combination of poor weather and
little effort due to illness) with 13 species of butterfly, 0 species of
amphibian, 3 species of reptile, 35 species of bird, and 4 species of
mammal bringing my totals for the year up to 16 species of butterfly (32%),
0 species of amphibian (0%), 4 species of reptile (40%), 92 species of bird
(46%), and 7 species of mammal (70%) for 2015 of which 91 species have been
photographed (76%) so far this year.

With the bronchitis/pneumonia out of my system, good rains falling, and the
peak of migration on its way, May should see some improvement across the
board ... but I am really going to have to start turning some rocks and
boards to make a dent in the herp and small mammal deficits.

The April list with new species for the year denoted with an * and newly
photographed species for the year denoted with a (y):

Common Checkered Skipper
Common Sootywing*(y)
Southern Dogface
Sleepy Orange*