[texbirds] Thanksgiving NWR Loop - McAllen to Attwater PC NWR (longish)

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 19:45:33 -0500 (EST)

Hi, all!

Decided to take advantage of the four-day weekend and blast  north for some
NWR birding.  The trip started out great with a handful  of Valley birds
bagged while packing the car (Curve-billed Thrasher,  Golden-fronted Woodpecke
r, and Green jay amongst them), but as I stepped into  the car I thought I
heard a Sprague’s Pipit flying overhead!  On second  "listen" I realized it
was an excited American Robin calling from behind the  building!  That was
fun to pick up, as they can sometimes be tough to get  in the Valley!

Headed north without incident, resisting the temptation to stop at the
Falfurrias Rest Stop to try for the redstart and instead continued over to
Riviera (tons of Red-tailed Hawks, but that was about it) and making the
traditional rest stop there at the Stripes, which was packed!  Laughing and
Ring-billed Gulls were wheeling around, so added them to the day list while I
was there.

After two more potty stops at Refugio and El Campo, from there it was a
short drive to the refuge (after getting lost in Eagle Lake)!  I wanted to
see if I could design a nice BBS-style road birding route that included other
roads besides just the refuge drive (I had heard of other birders exploring
the  "surrounding roads" while there), so I started the trip meter right at
the  entrance road and started crawling!  Savannah Sparrows were out the
yin  yang, and later a couple of Vespers popped up as well.  Sedge Wrens were
scattered about, giving their bright little calls (but wouldn’t come out,
of  course…)  I kept leap-frogging with another nice gentleman (I actually
caught up with him at the new observation blind), but he apparently missed
the  American Bittern that was sticking his head up right next to the road!
He  ducked once he saw me (the bittern, not the gentleman), but then came out
on a  little ridge and slowly walked along the thing with his neck
outstretched and  bill pointed towards the sky!  Then he figured I wasn’t
falling
for the  ruse and went scrambling into the grass…

While sorting through all the sparrows near the Pipit Trail, I was
surprised to see a mess of Cave Swallows swooping around (and a few sat on the
wire fence)!  I would have thought they’d be gone by now, especially after
that last cold front!  I stopped briefly at the grove by the  headquarters just
to see if there were any good songbirds about, but it was  pretty dead, so
I continued on, and ironically as I rounded the corner and had a  view of
the back side of said grove, that’s when all the action started!  A
Red-bellied Woodpecker chunged from one of the trees along with an excited
Carolina
Chickadee, and a little pishing brought up an Eastern Phoebe, several
Lincoln’s Sparrows, and the real prize, a nice Harris’ Sparrow!  A stunning
adult White-crowned also posed on the fence, and a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
swooped across the road after I continued on my way.  My first American
Goldfinch of the season also "potato chipped" overhead.

As previously mentioned, there’s an observation blind that’s new since  I
was here last, so I was anxious to check it out!  Picked up Song Sparrows
at the bridge, and the blind overlooks a wonderful little lake with trees all
 along its banks that were turning all shades of reds and yellows!  Both
Orange-crowned and Myrtle Warblers were in the trees around the blind, and
several Pied-billed Grebes were out in the water.  Continued on and  had a
Killdeer and young White Ibis in perfect light at one little pond, but it  was
pretty quiet overall; disappointingly there were no ducks or geese at all
(although I heard some cranes in the distance early on).  The requisite
Caracara and White-tailed Hawks did make a showing, and Harriers were all over
the place!

After finishing the loop I made a right on FM 3013 and made the first left
I could on Spalinger, which was a good dirt road.  The habitat looked great
 for Sprague’s Pipits, and after all the rain there were a lot of flooded
fields;  one little pond had both species of yellowlegs.  Once again I was
leap-frogging with a big ol’ pickup (they were poking along as well, and I
kinda  suspect they were hunters checking things out…), and at one point I
stepped out  to photograph a distant "bird-nado", when I suddenly realized I
was looking at  swarms of geese and ducks!  Then I could hear the Snows and
Whitefronts for  sure, but they were too far away to pick out anything else.
Spalinger  dumped out on FM 1093, so I took a right and then another right
on Beal Road  (another good caliche road), and that took me to the other side
of the goose  mob, but they were still too distant to really see well.
Adding those  roads brought the route up to about 14 miles, so that’s a good
length!

Headed on in to Sealy where the receptionist said that most of the
restaurants around here had closed early, so I got the cooler iced up, got some

water and snacks, and settled down with some noodles, which really tasted
pretty  good!  Bird list:

  Greater White-fronted  Goose           Anser  albifrons
Snow  Goose                             Chen caerulescens
Northern  Bobwhite                      Colinus virginianus
Pied-billed  Grebe                      Podilymbus podiceps
American  Bittern                       Botaurus lentiginosus
Great  Egret                            Ardea alba
White  Ibis                             Eudocimus albus
Black  Vulture                          Coragyps atratus
Turkey  Vulture                         Cathartes aura
Northern  Harrier                       Circus cyaneus
White-tailed  Hawk                      Geranoaetus albicaudatus
Red-tailed  Hawk                        Buteo jamaicensis
Sandhill  Crane                         Grus canadensis
Killdeer                               Charadrius vociferus
Greater  Yellowlegs                     Tringa melanoleuca
Lesser  Yellowlegs                      Tringa flavipes
Laughing  Gull                          Leucophaeus atricilla
Ring-billed  Gull                       Larus delawarensis
Rock  Pigeon                            Columba livia
Eurasian  Collared-Dove                 Streptopelia decaocto
Mourning  Dove                          Zenaida macroura
Golden-fronted  Woodpecker              Melanerpes aurifrons
Red-bellied  Woodpecker                 Melanerpes carolinus
Crested  Caracara                       Caracara cheriway
American  Kestrel                       Falco sparverius
Eastern  Phoebe                         Sayornis phoebe
Scissor-tailed  Flycatcher              Tyrannus forficatus
Loggerhead  Shrike                      Lanius ludovicianus
Green  Jay                              Cyanocorax yncas
American  Crow                          Corvus brachyrhynchos
Cave  Swallow                           Petrochelidon fulva
Carolina  Chickadee                     Poecile carolinensis
House  Wren                             Troglodytes aedon
Sedge  Wren                             Cistothorus platensis
Ruby-crowned  Kinglet                   Regulus calendula
American  Robin                         Turdus migratorius
Curve-billed  Thrasher                  Toxostoma curvirostre
Northern  Mockingbird                   Mimus polyglottos
European  Starling                      Sturnus vulgaris
American  Pipit                         Anthus rubescens
Orange-crowned  Warbler                 Oreothlypis celata
Common  Yellowthroat                    Geothlypis trichas
Yellow-rumped  Warbler                  Setophaga coronata
Vesper  Sparrow                         Pooecetes gramineus
Savannah  Sparrow                       Passerculus sandwichensis
Song  Sparrow                           Melospiza melodia
Lincoln's  Sparrow                      Melospiza lincolnii
Harris's  Sparrow                       Zonotrichia querula
White-crowned  Sparrow                  Zonotrichia leucophrys
Red-winged  Blackbird                   Agelaius phoeniceus
Eastern  Meadowlark                     Sturnella magna
Western  Meadowlark                     Sturnella neglecta
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
Brown-headed  Cowbird                   Molothrus ater
American  Goldfinch                     Spinus tristis
House  Sparrow                          Passer domesticus

56 SPECIES

Mary Beth Stowe
McAllen,  TX
www.miriameaglemon.com