[texbirds] Re: Texbirds and South Texas birding

  • From: Martin Reid <upupa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:08:45 -0500

Dear All,
I'm with John on this, even though I might have tried (and maybe failed...) to
be less blunt!  Perhaps it should have been left to the List Moderator to make
a statement about the Photo Big Year post, but such admonitions have not always
been forthcoming so it's hard to sit on ones hands, especially if you've been
the recipient of rapid Moderator admonitions in the past ;-)
I can only speculate that John has received some ugly emails about his post.
If so, do any of those emailers have the guts to make their comments to him
public?

This medium is a minefield for those of us who are prone to knee-jerk
reactions.  This is a classic occurrence in EmailLand, where person X breaks
the rules, then person Y else tells them so without using carefully parsed
ultra-neutral language so that no-one could possibly be upset by it... - then
person Y gets slammed for offending some people (usually a very small but vocal
number of people) rather than the focus remaining on the original breaking of
the rules!  ugh!

Personally I think John's post was accurate, blunt and a bit terse, but
certainly not offensive.   I can understand his frustrated reaction because
this seems to be a recurring issue with many of the groups I belong to.
Martin

---
Martin Reid
San Antonio