[texbirds] Texas Rare Bird Alert Via SMS (text message)

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 10:07:02 -0500

You might recall Steve Gross and I started the TOSRBA which was based
on a free service that is no longer being offered.Steve never had a
smart phone and was looking for a way to get text messages when a rare
bird showed up so he would stop arriving home from High Island and
discover that a Black-whiskered Vireo was found that day at Sabine
Woods.

Earlier this year I found a replacement, Group Me that is supported on
both SMS, iOS, and Android.I've restart the rare bird alart on this
service.

I've named the group on Group Me TEXASRBA. You can join the group via this link:

https://app.groupme.com/join_group/12113655/Fut2mc

I think you can also join the group via an SMS message by sending a
message to 319-483-6331 and sending the following message:

add# [name] [phone]

for example I would send add# David 713-412-4409

If you have trouble signing up send me a note and I will sign you up directly.

Once you have joined the group you can send an update by just sending
an SMS (text) message to 319-483-6331 and it will go to the whole
group. Please use this service to post info sightings of Texas Review
Species. you can find a list of the review species at:

http://www.texasbirdrecordscommittee.org/home/texas-state-list

You can also join via the website at www.groupme.com

The groupme app works well too at least on an iPhone

The rba can be used for up to the minute info on a bird, updates on
where the Northern Jacana or Brown Bobby is being seen right now would be
fine.

A couple of weeks ago I was alerted to the Northern Jacana when John
Yochum reported it to the group via GroupMe while I was in the field
and I was able to see it that day.

Because this works off of very simple text messaging these messages
will go through when things like email and facebook won't.

There are only about 120 subscribers now to the service, I think more
will make it better and we're approved for a group of at least 300
right now.

--
David Sarkozi
Houston, TX