[texbirds] Re: Texas County Big Years?

  • From: Steven Glover <stevenglover99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 11:57:48 -0600

Hi all,
It isn't only San Diego County to contend with:

L.A. - 357
Santa Barbara - 358
San Luis Obispo - 345
Monterey 353

Each of those counties is larger than the contenders in Texas and certainly
have a greater habitat diversity.

But what of Marin County? The big year record there is 362 and that county
has only 520 square miles of land. The only exotics countable in Marin are
Ring-necked Pheasant, Wild Turkey, Rock Pigeon, Eurasian Collared-Dove,
European Starling and House Sparrow.

And, for entertainment value, San Francisco County has only 46.9 extremely
urbanized square miles and yet a big year of 273. This does not include the
Farallon Islands.

The single day big day records of many California counties are almost
surely unreachable in Texas:

Los Angeles - 224
San Diego - 217
Monterey - 208
Humboldt (way up north!) - 193

On the other hand, the statewide big day record set this past spring by the
Ebird team cannot be touched in California. Hell, it may never even be
touched in Texas again. Phenomenal!

Steve Glover
Fort Worth