[texbirds] Texas Audubon Chapter Assembly- Bastrop Texas

  • From: Michael Goebel <micraygoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 21:17:19 -0800 (PST)

Today the Bastrop County Audubon Society hosted a field trip at Lake Bastrop
South Shore Park to help kick off the Texas Audubon Chapter Assembly.  Twenty
seven birders braved the perfect weather to comb the South Shore.  While not
especially birdy, we managed to tally 35 species.

Best birds of the day;

Red-breasted Nuthatch at the Schwarter Bird Viewing Area.  Sandhill Cranes, two
separate flights of roughly 50 each.  Cinnamon Teal (2) - thanks to Patsy
Inglet who spotted them, and Tom Inglet my new best friend for schlepping his
scope all afternoon so I didn't have to pack mine.  And a lone Eared Grebe.

Best moment of the day - three very young fishermen who passed our base at
Pavilion 1 at the end of the day, proudly displaying the bass they had just
caught, to the applause of the Texas Audubon birders.

Mike Goebel
Bastrop County Audubon