[texbirds] Tejano Formasa Wetlands in Jackson County

  • From: Ruth <twofried@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 17:25:37 -0500

An American Bittern is still hanging out in front of the ground blind at
Tejano.  I almost missed it; masters of camouflage.  A beautiful Vermillion
Flycatcher was perched nearby in a dead snag.  Lots of BW Teal as usual.  Got
excited for a moment when I saw the rusty back of a blackbird but then with a
better angle saw the red shoulder.  First year Red-winged I suppose.  Rusty
Blackbird has been recorded in eBird at Tejano but seems a bit early.

A couple of Chats, a Magnolia Warbler, several Brown Thrashers and Catbirds
were along the levee; mainly north side of property.  Few warblers compared to
last weekend.  The early members of the winter shift seem to be trickling in;
definitely lots more thrashers and Common Yellowthroats here than last weekend.
 But, still no sparrows.

It was kind of a strange morning with light fog, very light winds and the birds
not talking.  Many seemed to have lock-jaw.  Even the White-eyed Vireos,
normally very vocal, didn't open up until about 8:30.  The skies also seemed
really empty until about 9am; maybe it was just where it was....

Good birding.

Bob Friedrichs
Houston / PalaciosEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at