[texbirds] Re: Tagged TV RFI

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 20:26:44 -0500

Thanks all...I got a lot of good ref.s and most stem from tagged birds from
out of state. I'll report it but.
1.) I am not 100% it was white...there is a chance it was pale blue or even
pale yellow.
2.) It was only seen on the upper wing and if feathers, I did not see those
from below.
3.) It was fairly broad covering upper parts of 3-4 secondaries
4.) It did not strike me as incidental "white-wash". Just a bit too bold
but maybe.
5.) I spent more time out there looking, even drove the area a bit, but did
not refind it. I have the day tomorrow to try.
6.) Seems a bit early for any significant TV migration
7.) Thank you all for your leads...All 11 of them

Also spotted 7 Swainson's Hawks later.

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 8:10 PM, Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

[...]

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 7:57 PM, Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx
wrote:

There are 2 main banding groups. One is run out of hawk mountain and uses
2 inch wingtags of color with numbers. You can reach them through hawk
mountain but they do not answer questions much. They do use large white
tags that show on the upper wing for perched birds and mark birds from much
of the country over the years. But the hawk mountain sanctuary is the
repository of info.

or
http://www.vulturemovements.org/hms/hms_tv.htm

and some pictures of their tags

http://www.seaandsageaudubon.org/Conservation/BirdResearch/TurkeyVultures.html

The other is in Saskatchewan that also uses wing tags but in the wisdom
of the leader the tags are dark on a dark bird with white letters. He
complains people do not report many of them. All these birds are banded in
abandoned farmhouses from 100 years ago that provide the only habitat for
nesting. I got a picture of one last year but these would be later birds.
They do lots of birds that come through here.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 3:43 PM, Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

.
Utley...Is anyone tagging Turkey Vultures in Texas? I saw a bird this
afternoon that appears to have a white or pale colored dorsal tag on the
right wing. I looked online but found nothing recent. I did not see
anything on the under wing but I was at some distance without bins. It
was
with 4-5 other TVs It is possible this could be a patch of white feathers
(?) I will keep looking
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas

Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission

Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston
Josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx