[texbirds] TOs trip openings.

  • From: "Jim Hailey" <irasciblej@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TOS-List" <tos-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Texbirds '" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 08:52:28 -0600

We just complete a very successful winter TOS meeting in Round Rock.  We had
over 240 attendees and over 20 field guides.  I want to thank all of you who
attended and helped in the facilitating of this very successful event.  I
had nothing but rave reviews from those present.  Be sure to put the spring
meeting dates on your calendar as it will be a great opportunity to be on
the Texas coast at the very peak of spring migration, April 24-27.  Again we
will have a great group of speakers for our programs, great field trip
locations and, as usual,  expert guides.  This time TOS is teaming up with
the wonderful people at the Gulf Coast Bird Observatory who will serve as
our host group.

Now I want to make one more appeal to those who might be interested in
joining the trip to Minnesota for breeding warblers in late May and those
who would like to join our 15 day trip to Alaska this year.  I still have
openings for both.

The Minnesota trip will focus on the 35 breeding species of warblers present
in the northern woods in spring.   Those of you who had the opportunity to
bird with our leader for this trip at the recent TOS meeting, Kim Risen,
know just how good he is in the field.   You also had the opportunity to see
what the region had to offer from the presentation he made on Thursday
evening.   If you would like more information on this trip contact me and I
will forward you an itinerary.  Dates for this amazing trip are May 23-June
1.

This will be the next to last trip I plan on leading to the far north
country of Alaska.  I will do one more in 2015 if I am still able.  This
trip features opportunities to view the approximately 160 species we usually
encounter on our excursion.  We will visit the Arctic Ocean at Barrow where
we will focus on the four eider species, snowy owl, Barrow sparrows (Snow
Bunting), Red Phalarope, jaegers,  and many more-- all in  breeding plumage.
In addition, we will travel to western Alaska and spend 4 day exploring the
tundra around Nome.  There we will focus on Bluethorat, Yellow Wagtail,
Bristle-thighed Curlew, redpolls, waterfowl, shorebirds, possibly Arctic
Warbler, and those unexpected rarities that often show up there.  Besides
the Anchorage area we will take a pelagic out of Seward where we can observe
breeding colonies of puffins, cormorants, alcids, humpback and Orca whales
and much more.  The final leg of our journey will take us to the magnificent
Denali Highway where our target birds will be Smith's Longspur and Arctic
Warbler.

If you want additional information on either of these trips please contact
me at the email address below.

Jim Hailey
President
Texas Ornithological Society