[texbirds] TOS Smith county trips this weekend in north east Texas

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 16:39:30 -0600

For the TOS weekender, we ran a Smith county hotspots trip, led by Mike
Bloodsworth on Friday and me on Saturday. Despite the cold and wind, we
tallied a good variety of 80+ species on each of the two  days. Highlights
were 12 species of ducks, 2 Canada Geese (still a novelty in Smith county)
on Saturday at Lago del Pino, 5 Bald Eagles on Friday (Camp Tyler, Lake
Tyler and Bellwood Lake), 2 Ospreys on Friday (Lake Tyler, Pleasure Acres
Lake), a Franklin's Gull on Friday (Bellwood Lake), 2 Red-headed Woodpecker
on Friday (Camp Tyler and Lake Tyler nearby), 1 Hairy Woodpecker on
Saturday (Camp Tyler), 4 Fish Crows on Friday (Camp Tyler), single Purple
Finches on Friday and Saturday (Camp Tyler), 5 Eastern, 2 Spotted and 2
hybrid Towhees on Saturday (Camp Tyler),
While scouting for the weekend on Thursday, Feb 26, I had 10 Neotropic
Cormorants perched on the dock at the Villages Marina on Lake Palestine,
and 100 Rusty Blackbirds in the woods near the Lake Tyler dam.

Peter Barnes,
Tyler