[texbirds] TOS Alaska & Colorado trips

  • From: "Jim Hailey" <irasciblej@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 16:59:37 -0600

I am happy to report that the Alaska TOS trip for this year is now full.
However, there are still a couple of spots open for the Spring "Chicken"
trip to Colorado, April 23-May 2.  This should be an outstanding opportunity
to observe grouse and prairie chickens on their leks as the males do their
annual dance to attract the eligible ladies.  In addition, target species
include White-tailed Ptarmigan, Ferruginous and Rough-legged Hawk,
Long-eared and Boreal Owls, Three-toed Woodpecker, Clark's and Pygmy
Nuthatch, Sage Thrasher, Virginia Warbler, Juniper Titmouse, longspurs and
three Rosy-finch and many more.  If you want to see a list of possible
species go to
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/95870578/Chicken%20Run%20composite%20birdlist.pdf.
You can also find an itinerary by checking out this link
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/95870578/Colorado%20Itinerary.pdf.   I will be
traveling for the next two weeks, first to the Laredo Birding Festival and
then on to Duluth, MN for the TOS winter trip looking for owls among other
things.  If you want a spot on the Chicken trip email me and I will include
you.  This is going to be a FANTASTIC trip and I am eagerly looking forward
to it.

Jim Hailey
President Elect
Texas Ornithological Society