[texbirds] Re: TEXAS CITY DIKE CLOSED(?) DUE TO BARGE COLLISION

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Stenmead@xxxxxxx" <Stenmead@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 18:52:26 -0500

There is oil leaking including hydrogen cyanide which sent some fishermen
to the hospital. Very large barge but they said that the oil is a thin
skin. But the dike is closed and with little winds there can be gas
anywhere and when the front starts to arrive there could be gas on bolivar
so check weather etc.
The barge is sunk so 1,000,000 gallons will need to be offloaded etc and
that can be hard to do with a leaky vessel as sparks can occur at anytime
when things bang together. Purportedly only one tank was hit. The usual
iphone pictures were taken of the crash but they missed the crash end of
the barge and only had the unhit end in the frame.

The barge appears to be closer to Bolivar and the dike and is sunk but
parts are above the water.

It happened at noon and very little on the evening news. When the front
arrives, the wind etc will push everything toward pelican island and then
out the channel as the current will go out with the wind.

If you were at the end of the dike, you can see a little space between the
sunken barge and the tip of Bolivar. It happened at 12:30 but not much news
due to the weekend.

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 6:14 PM, <Stenmead@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> It was very foggy this morning, and I left the house at about 9am and could
>  not have seen it with the fog.  But will check on it in the morning, too
> foggy now.  There are Oystercatchers nesting just north of the dike, sure
> hope it did not reach them, or any wildlife for that matter.
>
> Stennie Meadours
> San Leon
>

> In a message dated 3/22/2014 6:08:48 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> mirampellerin@xxxxxxx writes:
> Just now  watching T V news when I saw information about the closing of the
> TC Dike  because of leaked fuel from a collision of a barge and a tanker in
> the AM  fog.   They did not mention when it is expected to open  again.
>
> Mira M. Pellerin
>
> Edit your Freelists account settings for  TEXBIRDS at
> //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
>
> Reposting of  traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
> permission
> from the  List Owner

Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston