[texbirds] TB vs FB

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 20:10:46 -0600

I hate to get into this  but...I fought Facebook tooth and nail, but in the
end I was forced to face the "beast" for a number of reasons, including
family as that is the only way the youngsters will only communicate with
me..   I might throw in that there are folks on FB that are just as opposed
to using Texbirds as well for any reason while many have written that they
just can not get on.  Sheridan has pointed out a number of the points folks
like about it.  In Facebook you can go back and edit or even delete a post
you made...Photos are instant and interactive with mobile devices, and I
would think if one is a chaser they would darn sure at least have it
running in the background somewhere as from what I have seen, many reports
first show on FB with TB reports following sometimes hours, even days
later..It is far easier to upload your images to FB w/o having to download
then upload, then post the link to your Fliker etc.  I am an old fogey and
even I can see/understand  the Texbird listserv is likely a fading option
for especially the younger birders.
  The previous poster was correct, nothing , no place is secret
anymore...You can sign on to FB without putting any info at all in your
profile, which I do...It is an open list

  Another aspect I  enjoy, is that it has no police.  There are folks that
post on FB that I have never seen post to Texbirds...talking to peripheral
matters never discussed...Ex. I have been and will be in New Mexico for a
while...I can post what I see here on FB as a heads up to all the folks in
the Trans Pecos and Western Texas...Can't do that on TB

  So has Brush gone over to the Dark Side....No...I enjoy Texbirds,
Texbirds FB and even a personal FB group windows and regular email windows
running at the same time ...Yes I wish everyone would use Texbird as I
prefer it above all others, despite its slow decline...,But you know I also
wish everyone would write up every TBRC species they see, I wish everyone
contributed to North American Birds and I especially wish for a visit from
Santa Claus.  I am not sure there will be any of the above to survive
except for Santa Claus 10 years from now...I will wager even Ebird vanishes
sooner or later too.   Sure wish I could post what we saw in S. New Mexico
today here...Heads up Texas.....Darn.

  But everyone can blend their poisons as they will.   There are is no
wrong way to bird as they say, so I guess there is no wrong way to share
your birding experiences.   I am locked into multiple ingredients.

Brush

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist