[texbirds] Swallow-tailed Kites back in Bastrop!!

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 12:25:39 -0500

.
OK so here's the deal. The Hochs done real good. After survey work this AM
in Bastrop SP, I drove to Tahitian Village to follow up on their
Swallow-tailed Kites. Before I even got to the location I spotted them
flying. I parked and watched them not only interact but copulate. Calling
constantly! A lady came out of her yard to see what I was doing, then she
told another neighbor who said they had been there for a while and that
they saw 6 Sunday afternoon........ It looks like after almost 100 years we
have our breeding birds back............So wait, there's more, as I was
leaving Tahitian Village toward 71, I spotted a third bird flying very low
over the tree tops.....Order today and get singing Orchard Oriole, Osprey,
Couch's Kingbird and Northern Parula all in the same area! If locals go,
directions = Go all the way down Tahitian Village Dr.til it ends at the
river or Riverside Dr....Park at this intersection and walk right until you
can see across the river...Wait. There is no where to park on Riverside as
the golf course is on one side (no parking) and on the otherside finely
manicured lawns right to the edge of the street..Do NOT park on either.
Park at intersection and walk. The birds are reportedly best seen in the
mornings and late afternoon...I figure I will go back for a look see in the
AM.
Woo Hoo..No more long drives to Dayton or Liberty! And a mighty BIG kudos
to the Hochs for reporting these.

Photos on Texbirds FB.

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell