[texbirds] Swallow-tailed Kite migration

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 09:20:03 -0500

All,

I was not at my computer yesterday and am just now reading the e-mails about
the Swallow-tailed Kite that was seen on the pelagic last Saturday. If you
look at the maps produced by the Avian Research and Conservation Institute
in Florida of their radio-tagged birds you can see that they definitely
migrate across the Gulf. I converted the link to a tinyurl because it was so
long:

http://tinyurl.com/knedeca

So far this fall most birds have taken the land-based route over Cuba (where
our counters have tallied over 3000 swallow-tailed kites this fall!) but if
you scroll down to the info showing their return to the U.S. last spring you
will see that most of them went over the Gulf. Then if you scroll down ever
further you'll see a track of a bird that in the fall of 2013 took off from
the Louisiana coast (the birds name is Slidell - guess where it was banded!)
and flew straight across the Gulf to eastern Mexico but west of the Yucatan
Peninsula. The map shows that the other bird tagged in Louisiana flew
around.

If these maps don't show up, click on the link at the right for the entire
year 2014 and the whole blog showing past year's tracks will appear.

Sue

Susan A. Heath, PhD
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 Hwy 332 West