[texbirds] Surfbird - South Jetty Packery Channel afteroon of 03/27/12 - additional details

  • From: Rex Stanford <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 23:53:08 -0500

This afternoon for perhaps 40-45 minutes--we have not checked the time data
on my photos as yet--commencing perhaps around 2:20 PM, we observed the
Surfbird as it fed on the north side of the South Jetty of Packery Channel,
Corpus Christi. It foraged, while we were there, from the outer end to about
mid-jetty, moving slowly, sometimes jumping and sometimes briefly flying
between jetty rocks. We would like to supply some additional details that
may be of interest or of practical value.

The north side of the jetty is the side that was protected considerably from
the substantial southeast wind blowing this afternoon. Thus this bird, which
stayed on the jetty's north side for our entire visit, was less subject both
to the strong winds as it tried to feed, and it also thus avoided being hit
by the sometimes large waves that struck the south side of the jetty. We
noticed that it seemed to try to avoid wave-related threats which, however,
were substantially less on  the north side of the jetty this afternoon than
on it south side.

This bird has moved well into breeding plumage, although not fully. For
example, it exhibits noticeable areas of rufous in its scapulars on both
sides. There already is extensive dark streaking on its throat and breast,
and it has dark chevron-like markings elsewhere on the underside. It is well
marked and, to us, seemed quite attractive.

In line with what Jon McIntyre reported, a sign posted beside the South
Jetty said that one must have a permit to park on the beach and that they
may be purchased at any convenience store in the area, and it also named one
of the beach parks where it may be purchased (but we do not recall its
name). We purchased one today at a nearby Stripes store. These are not daily
permits, but stay in place, according to what we were told when we purchased
ours, until year's end. The price we paid was $12.00.

We think potential visitors to this bird might also appreciate knowing that
it is wonderfully easy to visit this bird out on the jetty . The entire
jetty has a concrete walkway, and there are excellent metal railings all
along the way.  This is a great situation relative to viewing and
photographing this exciting, rare avian visitor.  It is a far cry from the
dangerous rock-hopping that is required to get very far out on the jetty at
Port Aransas where a Surfbird appeared in 2009. Those who planned this jetty
and raised the money for it did a great job. Thanks to Jon McIntyre for his
detailed directions!

Last, but not least, let us mention that this bird afforded extended views
as it walked calmly about feeding on the algae-covered rocks despite several
people (non-birders) moving back and forth on the jetty. Despite its
calmness, though, quick moves toward it from close range or rapid,
wide-amplitude gesticulation might prove disturbing, as with any avian
species.

Best wishes to those who seek this bird.

Rex and Birgit Stanford
McAllen, TX

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds