[texbirds] Summering Lesser Black-backed Gulls: UTC - June-July - bird heavens

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 19:19:06 -0400 (EDT)

It seems that only photos (!) might (sure, sometimes might not) convince
some people about reported records. In another posts I mentioned that there
was  maximum of 4 (but really at least 4) in June and max of 2 in July (so
far) LBBGs  seen in groups together. So here is photo from June 8, 2013 - how
many LBBGs can  you see? They took off and I did not have time to follow
them (too many terns  were there) to take more photos of all of them.

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/151375813/original

And here easy to see 2 LBBGs - July 10, 2013

http://www.pbase.com/image/151375791

I already mentioned that during summer on UTC very few people can be seen
birding or photographing anything. There is one more reason for under
reporting  some species. Most birders and photographers have tendency to visit
well known  spots or try to chase birds already reported (also usually in well
known spots).  But there are many, many virgin spots not visited by birders
or photographers,  and fishermen go there rarely as well. Those spots are
often bird heavens. There  is plenty of food and peace. Would you blame birds
for choosing those spots? I  don't.

So how many LBBGs are summering in Texas? We frankly  do not know. I  only
have seen subadults but would love to see record of well photographed  adult.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field