[texbirds] Sulphur-bellied Flycatcher

  • From: carolynohl@xxxxxxx
  • To: TEXBIRDS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 21:54:37 -0400 (EDT)

It's still present at Christmas Mountains Oasis and hopefully will be tomorrow,
since quite a few people are coming to see it. We didn't get rain today so the
roads won't be muddy tomorrow.

I posted a photo of it on my blog http://cmoasis.blogspot.com for those of you
that don't do facebook.

Speculating, perhaps floods, drought, fires, or something caused the flycatcher
to leave its territory. If it finds enough to eat here it may stay around until
it migrates south in the fall. Normally, there isn't much competition here, as
far as flycatchers go, but this year I have kingbirds nesting for the first
time, and a batch of Ash-throated Flycatchers just fledged. The Say's Phoebe is
on her second nest. We'll just have to see...  I don't know how long it has
been here. No one has birded here since June 7, including me.

Carolyn Ohl-Johnson
Big Bend area