[texbirds] Sugar Land Birds After the "Cool Front"

  • From: Mark Scheuerman <mark.scheuerman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 11:54:46 -0500

The "cool front" lured me onto the trails this morning to see what's moving
in my "backyard". I was not disappointed with 40 species and several
interesting birds: Cooper's Hawk with begging young, Yellow-throated Vireo
with two ratty-looking young, FOS heard Upland Sandpiper, FOS Least
Flycatcher, Painted & Indigo Buntings, at least 15 Orchard Orioles, and
increasing numbers of Robins and Ruby-throats. eBird list follows. Dust off
those bins...
Riverpark Brazos Trail (Sugar Land), Fort Bend, US-TX
Aug 1, 2014 7:58 AM - 10:08 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     1.5" rain last night associated with a rare July/August cool
front that has stalled over area. Relatively mild but humid this am.
Several "migrants" were evident.
40 species

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  3
Great Egret  1
Snowy Egret  1
Little Blue Heron  1
Cattle Egret  2
Mississippi Kite  3     It appears "our" pair has a juvenile.
Cooper's Hawk  3     An occasional nester in the county, I heard unfamiliar
whistling calls that I confirmed were begging calls of 1 or more juvenile
Cooper's Hawks. I glimpsed 3 birds as they flew over and 2 appeared to be
juveniles. I did not get to see details on the other bird(s). At least 1
adult called its normal repeated kek call. These birds have been in the
area all summer, terrorizing my feeders to feed these young.
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Upland Sandpiper  1     Flyover heard.
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  2
White-winged Dove  30
Mourning Dove  20
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1
Chimney Swift  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  6     Numbers increasing this week
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
Downy Woodpecker  3
Acadian Flycatcher  1
Least Flycatcher  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Eastern Kingbird  1
White-eyed Vireo  6
Yellow-throated Vireo  3     Unexpected. At least 3, these birds seemed to
be a family group with 2 very ratty juveniles. I guess they bred locally?
Blue Jay  7
American Crow  3
Purple Martin  10
Barn Swallow  6