[texbirds] Striped Sparrow seen in Williamson County

  • From: Ed Hickl <ehickl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 22:22:26 -0600

Our group from Houston made the trip to see the Striped Sparrow.  Just missed
it at 11 am.  A small hawk scattered the sparrows just as we arrived.  After
lunch and seeing the burrowing owl we tried again just after 3 pm.  Just missed
it again.  Frequent car and truck traffic scatters the birds into the brush.
But patience and persistence (and help from great birders there like Barry
Noret) paid off as the bird showed itself for a few minutes.  We all got good
looks thru bins, scopes and some photos. Oh- the many other sparrows,
cardinals, woodpeckers, and brown thrasher  did make the time pass.

Ed Hickl ( Barbara, Bill and Edie O’Brien)
Houston and Canyon LakeEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at