[texbirds] Re: Striped Sparrow!!! in eastern Williamson Co. 1/11/15

  • From: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 22:38:30 -0600

I am having problems posting. Sorry if I post this twice.

From the ABA rare bird page.

Kenn Kaufman commented:
"Yikes. I agree with Michael, it looks like a solid Striped Sparrow. In my
experience, this species is extremely sedentary; on repeat visits to localities
in Mexico, I've found it not just in the same general areas but in the same
exact spots from year to year. It seems unlikely that the Texas bird could be a
wild, unassisted vagrant. It's true that more colorful birds are more popular
in the cagebird trade, but some vendors will try to sell any bird they can
catch; I've seen such drab creatures as female cowbirds and female House
Sparrows for sale in Mexico."

He then followed with:
"...But I don't want to be a killjoy about this bird - it's still astonishing,
and if I were in the area, I would go to look for it."

Cameron Carver

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at