[texbirds] Striped Sparrow!!! in eastern Williamson Co. 1/11/15

  • From: "Rich Kostecke" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rkost73@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 01:50:48 +0000 (UTC)

This afternoon, I was birding CR 428 in eastern Williamson County.  I was on
CR 428, just 0.1 east of its intersection with CR 361, at 3:37pm when I came
across a bird that totally had me befuddled.  It popped out of the large
grassy field on the north side of the road with several other sparrows.
It was basically a large, flat-headed, sparrow-like bird, but what struck me
was it rufous cap, white eye-line, and black mask.  At first, the back and
tail looked to me like they had a greenish tint, but the pictures I took show
that the back and tail were more brown.  The pictures I took also show the
gray belly and white throat.  It may have stood on the road for about 10
seconds, making hard, rapid tik sounds, before skittering off into the tangles
of vegetation on the south side of the road along the San Gabriel River.  I
attempted to pish/squeak it back into view, which kind of worked for the next
minute it or so as it moved around rapidly in the brush, madly tiking the whole
time.  It then went quiet.
Again, my first impression was maybe some kind of brush-finch or something, but
now that I am back at the house with my field guides and looking at the photos
I took on my computer, it appears to be a Striped Sparrow (though if I am
missing something and folks think it is something else, please let me know), a
species that is apparently endemic to the northwest and central Mexican
highlands.  The closest in Mexico it gets to Texas appears to be the boundary
between Sonora and Chihuahua states.  I have not searched extensively, so have
no idea about their migratory movements or their status in the bird markets.
Habitat is noted as open pine woodland, fields, and meadows, esp. with bunch
grasses.  It is also apparently known to perching on posts or rocks (in this
instance I guess the road will do).
The photos I took.  I also shot some video that seems have captured audio of
its call.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kostecke/16071840148/https://www.flickr.com/photos/kostecke/16073235299/in/photostream/
For anyone who may go a-chasing this sparrow, I last saw it around the no
dumping sign on the south side of the road.  Also, the road does get a fair
bit of traffic, so be courteous and please don't block the roadway.
   Rich
Richard Kostecke, Ph.D.
The Nature Conservancy
318 Congress Ave., Austin, Texas 78701Email: rkost73@xxxxxxxxx or