[texbirds] Striped Sparrow and others arond Granger Lake Jan 17

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds \(texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx\)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 13:29:54 -0800

At first light went to Sore Finger for a short eared owl. Not seen, deer
hunters out in the field.
Then hurried over around 7:50 a.m. to get the Striped Sparrow that was still
with its buddies the Harris, WC sparrows and cardinals but along 361 road at
woods edge, just past 428.
Then tried for Eared Grebe at Friendship Park and other lookout spots, none.
Saw a coyote.
Burrowing Owl easily found at the culvert north of 352 and 357.
On the curve at the end of 359 (I think it is part of 360) plenty of horned
larks and McCown's Longspurs. Possibly another species of Longspurs but I
couldn't be sure.
Near to Alligator road at creek crossing a Bewick's Wren.
And last, at Willis Creek Park, two Fox Sparrows. Go to the end loop for day
use only. Lots of sparrows and cardinals, (Harris, WC, White throated, 1
Savannah, Lincoln's) Should be a towhee there, too, but I didn't find him
today. The red foxes don't like to come out in the open so keep that in mind.
Didn't try for the lone whooping crane because others were telling me the whole
gange of sandhill cranes and whooper are MIA.

Carolyn Dill
Houston