[texbirds] Steve--a true frind to all birders from first to last

  • From: Berner Family <jcazberner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 19:13:26 -0800 (PST)

Man what a loss!

My last memories of Steve (just ten days ago) were just like the first--he was
constantly helping other birders see both the Amazon Kingfisher and the
Rose-breasted Becard. Steve was always helping other birders. I remember him
taking me (who he barely knew then) to see the chuck-will's-widows at Jones
Forest in 2005. I'll remember numerous chase trips with Steve and I'll
especially remember the best planned and executed TOS meeting I ever attended
in Houston last winter--that Steve was in charge of. What a great loss
personally and to Texas (& Idaho) birding in general.

I agree with the two David's that we need some sort of TOS memorial to Steve
that involves helping new or younger birders.
Also if there is sort of funeral planned would love to hear the details.

John Berner
Houston
The Berners
John, Cathy, Abby and Zach