[texbirds] Steve Gross Memorial (Fund) - update from TOS President

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "drbirdie@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 00:00:53 -0400

Hi Texbirders,
I understand there has been some discussion on Texbirds today after Dave
Dolan's post yesterday asking what was happening with the Steve Gross Memorial
Fund.

Dave had apparently discussed this issue with Sandi Wheeler and Susan Foster
while in the Davis Mountains over the weekend, and Sandi brought the issue to
the attention of the board on Monday and Dave raised the issue on Texbirds
yesterday.
Bron Rorex (Region 7 Director) contacted me earlier today about Dave's post,
and I asked her to see if Dave would be willing to take the initiative on this
issue in cooperation with the current Executive Board of TOS to execute a
lasting memorial to our late, dear birding friend Steve Gross.
I am pleased to report that Dave indicated that he would be happy to do it, and
Dave and I have subsequently corresponded about it.
And I have informed the rest of the board about this initiative.

I believe Sandi Wheeler did mention in a post to one or another list-serve that
TOS has used funds from the SGMF to sponsor youth birding teams, which is
certainly consistent with Steve's passion as an educator. It does, however,
seem appropriate to seek other, more permanent ways to honor Steve's memory.

So, Dave Dolan will be heading an ad-hoc committee to explore and execute an
appropriate, lasting memorial in honor of Steve Gross in cooperation with and
with the support of the TOS Board of Directors.

I would also like to paraphrase what Fred Collins pointed out in an earlier
Texbirds post - "when you die, unless you have friends who are both very
wealthy and very generous, your memorial fund will probably not support a
significant recurring annual expense like a scholarship." Because it doesn't
generate enough return without dipping into capital, which quickly depletes the
fund. This point came up early last month after another beloved long-time
birder, David Dauphin, passed away. Several birders who had been friends with
and admired and loved David talked about establishing a memorial fund for him.
I suggested it might be more appropriate or utilitarian to make unrestricted
donations to TOS in David's memory, for exactly the reason that Fred posted
about earlier. I think that some may have mistaken this for being unsympathetic
with the cause, which is certainly not what I intended. But the problem with
this approach (which Fred or someone mentioned earlier) is that it can then
seem that the money "disappears into a black hole," and I certainly understand
that.

In summary then, I want to thank Dave Dolan for reminding us Texbirders, TOS
members, officers and directors that we still need to execute a plan to
appropriately and permanently memorialize our late friend Steve Gross, and to
thank him for being willing to take action toward that end in cooperation with
the current Executive Board of TOS. I would like to say further that I will ask
the board to explore (perhaps with Dave's help) other appropriate ways to honor
the memories of departed friends when memorial funds are donated to TOS. I
would also like to remind all of you that TOS is a volunteer organization, and
can only accomplish what its active volunteers are able to do in the time that
they generously offer in service to our organization.

If you would like to volunteer your time, talents or expertise to TOS, please
contact me or another officer, see <http://texasbirds.org/aboutTOS.php>
or your regional director, see <http://texasbirds.org/aboutTOS.php> and let us
know that you are ready to serve.
We would be happy to hear from you!