[texbirds] Starting a Texas bird book library.

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 16:22:45 -0500

So I am written "What are the most important BIRD books I should have for
Texas?". I do not find this hard to answer for myself but these are only my
picks for the top 5.....Books that have been published in the last decade
or so. I have tons of great books and bird ref's but many are now out
dated, some very much so, for the purposes what perhaps a majority of the
new breed of birders might want...I would not part with these older
books......... So here is the most used books that I usually have sitting
on the desk .....I would be interested in what you consider your
essentials. These below are mostly statewide in coverage with the exception
of one. Several regional ref.s are fantastic but in need up updates. The
ones I just can't do without and the first ones I would recommend to anyone
starting a Texas bird library for <200.00.
National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America 6th edition
The TOS Handbook 2nd edition 2014
Guide to the Sibley Birds (N. America) 2014...even tho I just got it and
have not read it yet.
Bird Life of Houston, Galveston and the Upper Texas Coast 2004
Texas Waterfowl 2013 or Hummingbirds of Texas.

There are other books and there are wanna have books yet to be written.
such as Birds of the S. Texas Brushlands and Rio Grand Valley, an updated
ref. for the birds of the Central Texas Coast, Birds of Northern Texas and
the Panhandle, updated Birds Of the Upper Rio Grande and Trans Pecos etc.
etc. Am curious what you find of most value/use to you.
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/