[texbirds] Sprague's Pipet

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds \(texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx\)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 04:24:56 -0800 (PST)

I got very close looks at a pair of sprague's pipets on autotour route of
Attwater NWR, just past
the new parking lot that goes to a new bird blind. Also worth mentioning is  an
American Bittern
and sora, each in a different water ditch on southern most loop of the auto
tour (the road going
west away from entrance going east). Attwater's Pipet Trail is very dry, had
mostly Savannahs.
The far east loop along the woodslot had chipping, white crowned, Lincoln's and
I thought a
possible grasshopper sparrow viewed briefly, but now I lean toward Field
because it's just impossible to
get that other one in winter.
I went to Beal's Road for the longspurs but the best I can manage is that it
seems they are there.
Large flocks of American pipets as well. I didn't see any white in the tails in
flight, just that they
fly like longspurs. I hate to count longspurs as seen when I cannot differate
from pipets.

Carolyn Dill
Houston