[texbirds] Re: Spill is Worse Than First Reports

  • From: Stenmead@xxxxxxx
  • To: mirampellerin@xxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 11:21:18 -0400 (EDT)

As a person with a 20 + year experience with chemical/oil spills and
environmental emergencies, first reports, rarely, if ever, convey an accurate
assessment of the incident.

I just spoke with TPWD at the incident command center and am in email
communications with Richard Gibbons, Houston Audubon Conservation Director and
Sue Heath with GCBO.  Currently the oil is threatening the Bolivar Roades
area, responders are aware of the oystercatcher nests north of the TCD, but
that  area is not threatened at this time.

Richard Gibbons reported that Winnie Burkett is monitoring the Bolivar
area.

There are no reports of oil on a shoreline that I am aware of, but I don't
know the exact location, or the area of the spill, nor if it is a this film
 or oil on the surface.  Hopefully we will get more reports soon.

The wind is now from the NE, the tide is low, the water calm and an
Oystercatcher just landed on my bulkhead!

Stennie Meadours
San Leon

In a message dated 3/23/2014 10:03:25 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
mirampellerin@xxxxxxx writes:
From the  sound of the news this AM; the spill is worse than at first
thought.  It  seems to be impacting the Bolivar area more than the TCD.  I hope
that  the birds will make it out of there before they get hurt.

The Boiivar  Ferry remains closed until futher notice, as well as the TCD.

Mira M.  Pellerin

Reposting of traffic from  TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission
from the List  Owner