[texbirds] South Texas Trip

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "DHanson139@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 21:42:58 -0500

Jan and I left last Wednesday morning and got to Estero Llano Grande SP in
time for me to spend about 2.5 hrs looking for the Gray-capped Yellowthroat
with  no luck. The next morning we were there at 7:15 and after separating
a few yards  to maximize our coverage. We were all alone. At about 7:32 Jan
heard it calling  but could not see it. She got my attention and at 7:35 on
the nose it popped up  onto a nearby bush. For a good 5 minutes it showed
off and then dropped out of  site. About that time a large group walked up and
I was really hoping I was not  going to have to tell them it was gone
again. Shortly it came back up although a  little further away.

After that we birded the rest of the park and spent a couple of hours
looking for the White-throated Thrush. All in all over the next 3 days I spent
about 10 hrs looking for the Thrush with no luck. We arrived from Bentson SP
 about 15 minutes after the last brief sighting of the Thrush after seeing
Mary's  post where Dan had re-found it..

On Saturday morning we went to the Old Hidalgo Pump house and found the
Prairie Warbler, Nashville Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler and a  Blue-headed
Vireo near the aluminum pick nick tables.

At Bentson State Park we saw one of the lots of Hook-billed Kites.
Everyone was expecting the kite to come out to the right of the road and
wouldn't
you know it came out up sun instead on the left side of the road. There  was
a couple of Hooded Orioles at the Hummingbird feeders at the entrance
building and lots of Plain Chachalacas going crazy at the first set of feeders.

At the Kiskadee feeder blind there were several Altimira Orioles and a lot
of  Great Kiskadee's feeding. At Green Jay Blind it was a little slow but we
had two  Blue Grosbeaks that were very shy and would only bath and drink
off to the side  where there were two many sticks in the way for pictures.

Yesterday (Sunday) we went to Salineno and when we pulled up I was motioned
 over by another birder and they had a Red-billed Pigeon on the Texas side
sitting in the top of a tree down stream. At the feeders we watched several
 Altamira Orioles feeding along with lots of Cardinals. A single Audubon's
Oriole  came and sat in a tree and very briefly came down and grabbed a bite
to eat. As  we were leaving I got our scope back out and re-found the
pigeon in another tree  for Jan.

Pictures from the trip here.
http://smu.gs/1MsAJXA

David  Hanson