[texbirds] South Plains birding

  • From: peter keyel <labtroglodyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texas Birds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 18:53:58 -0800 (PST)

I visited several spots in Crosby, Floyd and Hale counties today searching for
longspurs. A lot of the playas in our area that I visited were dry, and the
ones that weren't were mostly frozen. Duck Pond in Plainview was open, and the
treatment ponds in Ralls and Lockney were mostly open. Highlights today were
two ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS, one each in Crosby and Floyd, along with a bounty of
birds at the Lockney water treatment ponds in Floyd county. Although the ponds
themselves are gated and posted, I didn't see any other no trespassing/private
property signs on my drive right up to the ponds. The ponds had a lot of
waterfowl including:
CANVASBACK
RING-NECKED DUCK
REDHEAD
NORTHERN SHOVELER
NORTHERN PINTAIL
AMERICAN WIGEON
MALLARD
CANADA GOOSE
GREATER-WHITE FRONTED GOOSE

The ponds also had two flocks of longspurs coming in to the ponds and flying
away. There was a large flock of ~50 LAPLAND LONGSPURS and a smaller flock of
CHESTNUT-COLLARED LONGSPURS. They were calling a lot and if I knew the call
rattles better I wouldn't have had to spend as much time following the flock
to, from and around the water. I don't think they sat still for more than 30
seconds at a time.

I'm guessing this is probably the best and most accessible place in Floyd
county for waterfowl.

I also found a small flock of AMERICAN ROBINS and a single BEWICK'S WREN at
Silver Falls in Crosby county.

Peter Keyel
Lubbock, TX
labtroglodyte@xxxxxxxxx