[texbirds] South Padre Island yesterday

  • From: Pat DeWenter <hoocooks4you@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 18:23:43 -0500

As the strong north winds buffeted the island, many birds were migrating,
although not a big fallout.
The highlights of the day starting out about 8:00 a.m. were flocks of
approximately 150 Mississippi Kites flying over for about 30 minutes, also
thousands of Franklin's Gulls throughout the morning.
I saw 15 species of warblers, and the Black-throated Greens dominated the
wood lots.  There were also a good number of Northern Parulas.  Saw a
Townsend's Warbler and Canada Warbler close up and personal at the
Convention Center.  A male Cerulean Warbler was a treat at the Sheepshead
lots.  There were a good number of Painted Buntings and Indigo Buntings,
also several Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and a Blue Grosbeak present at
Sheepshead.  There were many Baltimore and Orchard Orioles at both
locations.

And I did get to see the Red-headed Woodpecker on the street just north of
Sheepshead.

All the birds were actively feeding which I love to see instead of stressed
out on the ground.
Pat DeWenter
Weslaco/Hidalgo Co.