[texbirds] Re: South Padre Island Carpodacus, Psycho-spizella, 4/4/13

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>, <antshrike1@xxxxxxx>, <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 12:51:54 -0500

I had a knee jerk response upon first seeing the photos of the Carpodacus
finch in question that it was a Purple Finch. I am by no means an expert,
not having seen a male Purple Finch in perhaps 15 years nor a Cassin's
Finch since 2000 during the unprecedented invasion of Cassin's Finches into
South Texas during which the first bird was a male on SPI at the late
Barbara Kennett's house. The broad chokolate eye strip and crown strip,
shape of the bill, and general raspberry color looked like Purple Finch to
me. If so (if either, actually) it is an amazing record, for which SPI is
becoming famous. The sparrow is another matter. I have seen it called a
Lincoln's. It looks like a Spizella to me and more than that, like a
Clay-colored. I hate trying to identify birds by one or two photos but
those are my first impressions (and I am not a feather-detail
identification aficionado).
jca
John C. Arvin
Research Associate