[texbirds] South Brazos County highlights

  • From: Rick Laughlin <richard.laughlin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rio Brazos Audubon <brazosaudubon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 16:46:08 -0500

Folks,
I took this morning to check on a couple of hot spots in southern Brazos
county this morning once the fog lifted. Starting at Cox Cemetery, I found
at least 2 PURPLE GALLINULES in amongst the numerous COMMON GALLINULES and
PIED-BILLED GREBES. These PUGA are the first in the county since Bruce
Neville's find last year at the same location in May2014. While watching
these birds dart in and out of the vegetation, a pair of N BOBWHITES were
calling back and forth across the lake and four BLACK TERNS made a brief
stop before heading off.

I continued on to Allen Farms where a few DICKCISSELS remained, as well as
the usual MODOs and RWBL. Sadly, I believe the large colony of CLIFF
SWALLOWS that were nesting under the low bridge along FM159 did not survive
the storms and high waters this spring. There were only 2 BARN SWALLOWS
perched on the fence line where there are normally hundreds of Cliffs.

Working my way back into town along TX-6, there were a pair of ANHINGA at
the ponds at Peach Creek Rd, but not much else. I checked some other lakes
and fields with nothing to report except people with paddle boats and
fishing poles. Still on the lookout for Wood Storks for my county list...

Good birds,

Rick Laughlin
College Station, TX