[texbirds] Re: Song Sparrow (Santa Ana CBC)

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 18:20:01 -0600

Sweet of you you to mention me....Really! Mary Beth, I can add that in
Jan-Feb of 1994 there was a huge influx of SOSPs to that same area...We
note 40-45+ just near Bentsen and the church camp next door. So maybe this
will be another good year. Plenty of them up in my region this season for
sure.
Brush Freeman
Senior Wildlife Biologist/Partner. Bio-Spatial Services Inc, TXESA,
Independent consulting.
www.biospatialservices.com <http://www.biospatialsevices.com>
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 5:42 PM, Mary Beth Stowe <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

wrote:

Hi, all!

I should do a "Brush" and say, "local interest only" as a Song Sparrow
anywhere outside the LRGV would be ho hum! :-D But one popped up along a
nice little riparian wetland along Dickers Road, just west of Alamo Road in
Hidalgo County (perfect habitat for the little guy)! My section is almost
all farm land with some patchy mesquite "savannah" and some big trees where
there are houses, and some isolated wetlands along the levee and elsewhere.
Other highlights included three Sprague's Pipits, Grasshopper and Cassin's
Sparrows, a young White-tailed Hawk, dogfights between Peregrines and
Harriers, and a very friendly Mockingbird that almost landed on me! J
After
I was done Joyce Davidson and Pat Heirs met me at the Song Sparrow spot to
try and refind it (which we never did), but by going back I added
Ruby-crowned Kinglet, another Sprague's Pipit, and a Sora (which the girls
spotted) to my section! Photos (including a mediocre but diagnostic one of
the Song Sparrow) are on my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/marybeth.stowe

Bird List (a few things are on this BirdBase list that aren't on the CBC
tally for my area as they were on the wrong side of the levee.):

Mottled Duck Anas fulvigula

Neotropic Cormorant Phalacrocorax brasilianus

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias

Great Egret Ardea alba

Snowy Egret Egretta thula

Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis

Black-crowned Night-Heron Nycticorax nycticorax

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

White-tailed Kite Elanus leucurus

Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus

White-tailed Hawk Geranoaetus albicaudatus

Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis

Sora Porzana carolina

American Coot Fulica americana

Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus

Killdeer Charadrius vociferus

Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca

Long-billed Curlew Numenius americanus

Rock Pigeon Columba livia

Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Belted Kingfisher Megaceryle alcyon

Golden-fronted Woodpecker Melanerpes aurifrons

Crested Caracara Caracara cheriway

American Kestrel Falco sparverius

Peregrine Falcon Falco peregrinus

Eastern Phoebe Sayornis phoebe

Great Kiskadee Pitangus sulphuratus

Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus

Horned Lark Eremophila alpestris

House Wren Troglodytes aedon

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea

Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

American Pipit Anthus rubescens

Sprague's Pipit Anthus spragueii

Orange-crowned Warbler Oreothlypis celata

Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas

Yellow-rumped Warbler Setophaga coronata

Cassin's Sparrow Peucaea cassinii

Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus

Savannah Sparrow Passerculus sandwichensis

Grasshopper Sparrow Ammodramus savannarum

Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia

Lincoln's Sparrow Melospiza lincolnii

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Eastern Meadowlark Sturnella magna

Western Meadowlark Sturnella neglecta

Brewer's Blackbird Euphagus cyanocephalus

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater

Lesser Goldfinch Spinus psaltria

American Goldfinch Spinus tristis

House Sparrow Passer domesticus