[texbirds] Some Lubbock highlights from this morning

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 15:38:07 -0500

Greetings All:
I hit five of my favorite Lubbock hotspots this morning and noted a sharp
uptick in the number of throughpassing migrants.

A quick hike below Lake Six kicked out the following highlights: 1 Snowy
Egret, 1 Spotted Sandpiper, 1 unidentified empid (it had just bathed and
was absolutely baffling), and 1 Yellow Warbler.

A short hike along part of Lake Six and a drive along the rest of Lake Six
kicked out some more highlights: 1 Least Bittern (I did take about twenty
photos and I digi-binned shot looks identifiable), 1 Snowy Egret, 2 Spotted
Sandpipers, 2 Inca Doves, and 4 Northern Rough-winged Swallows.

A quick jaunt along the lower reaches of the Purina Mountain Bike Trail
kicked out a few more goodies: 1 Yellow-billed Cuckoo, 2 Rock Wrens, a
whole family of Carolina Wrens (2 adults and 3 fluffies), 2 Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers, and 1 Black-and-white Warbler.

A hike at MacKenzie Park kicked out 1 Virginia Rail (flushed while wading
through the reeds after a Plain-bellied Water Snake), 1 Solitary Sandpiper,
1 Western Wood Pewee, 1 Least Flycatcher, 1 male Common Yellowthroat, 3
Yellow Warblers,

A visit to Clapp Park (which looks fantastic (if a bit dry) but is still a
bit slow kickeed out 4 Black-necked Stilts, 2 Willow Flycatchers, 1
Carolina Wren (in the tall vegetation close at the end of the main inflow
from the arboretum), 4 Yellow Warblers, and a stunning male Painted Bunting.

There were quite a few butterflies moving.  The best of the day: a very
fresh looking Common Mestra wafting along in the shady interface between
the willowed dike and the smartweeded main playa at Clapp Park.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock