[texbirds] Some Lubbock highlights from the weekend

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 11:33:30 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
While birding at various sites in my 'patch' over the weekend I stumbled across
a few highlights.

All of Saturday's highlights - 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Townsend's Solitaire,
and 1 Brown Thrasher - were at Clapp Park.

On Sunday (today) I spotted 1 Greater White-fronted Goose over Slide Avenue
near its intersection with 114th Street; I spotted 6 Snow Geese and 3 Ross's
Geese amidst the over 13000 geese flying over Highway 179 about one mile north
of Highway 82; I found a pair of Wood Ducks at Leroy Elmore Park; I spotted a
gorgeous male Common Merganser at the pond at 98th Street and Quaker Avenue; I
counted 3 adult Harris's Hawks overseeing 68+ Black-tailed Jackrabbits at the
TTU HSC fields.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock