[texbirds] Smith Point, yesterday (10/22)

  • From: Tony leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 08:43:05 -0500

All:
'Twas glorious!  Best was that I didn't have to count it!

Highlights included the first Snow Geese of the season (family, 2 ads, 2 juvs),
another big late-season hit of Wood Storks (including flocks of 109 and 43 that
got together and did that ol' Wood Stork wandering around thing all afternoon),
and another huge late-season movement of Broad-winged Hawks, which included a
good smattering of dark morphs.

Because I wasn't counting, I actually got to go birding in the vicinity with
Andy Dietrich.  We didn't turn up anything non-ordinary, but got good looks at
one (and poor looks at a second) Nelson's Sparrow at Robbins Park, along with a
few Seaside Sparrows.  Of the 7 or 8 American Oystercatchers present, none were
banded (neither were any of the three adults at the tower).

My complete eBird checklists:

Enjoy,

Tony

Tony Leukering