[texbirds] Smith Point Saturday pictures; eagles, cajun red-tail, cranes and more

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 09:27:14 -0500

Saturday was the slow day at the hawk watch for bald eagles with only 2
birds including this youngster
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076275
The eagle was scoping things out as it went west
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076273

Saturday was the first day of the season with good numbers of red-tailed
hawks which came in various colors. This bird was clearly of the cajun
subspecies
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076271

When I first downloaded pictures for the day, I thought that I saw a small
mouse being carried in the red-tails talons
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076259

On closer checking, it turned out the hawk was taking live crawfish to a
crawfish boil. At least the crawfish in the right talon was still
threatening the world but the right talon mudbug was more subdued
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076272

Many other red-tails included
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076268

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076264

Most birds of the day were youngsters without lots of red in the tail but
some lived up to their name
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076270

Based on history, the weekend was probably the last for large number of
broad-winged hawks including this adult bird
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076254

Most were immatures
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076244

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076239

And another bird with a nice round hole in the wing feathers
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076238

The floppy winged bird has been around for some time. It gets up with the
other hawks but does not leave with them. The end of the wing at the
missing feathers is actually damaged and is not controlled properly
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076240

The turkey vultures either mill in kettles etc or fly in formation. I saw
two birds collide on Saturday when 2 kettles merged but they do fly close
together
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076186

A young white-tailed hawk crossed the bay from the south and headed to the
marsh fires further east on the peninsula
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076189

One of the swainson's hawks had an odd plumage
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076183

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076181

And cooper's hawks can also have bad feathers
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076177

Lots of goose flocks going either direction and with both white and dark
birds mixing. Here a single snow goose is with some white-fronts
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076174

And sandhill cranes were going in both directions too
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076163

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147076164

Lots more of the hawks etc can be browsed at
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/2012_hawk_watch_part_2

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston