[texbirds] Smith Point Hawk Watch 9/11/12 (938 raptors)

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 20:49:03 -0500

TexBirders,

Another great day at Smith Point. 12 Swallow-tailed Kites today which is
fantastic for this late in the season. Many Baltimore Orioles passing
through, 6 Olive-sided Flycatchers in view at once, 200 or so Anhingas and
200-300 Wood Storks early. Numbers will be picking up over the next two
weeks. Come on out and enjoy it! Our regular counter arrived today and was
treated to a couple Swallow-tailed Kites low over the tower late in the
afternoon. Welcome to Texas Tony!

Broad-winged Hawk 294
Sharp-shinned Hawk 4
Cooper's Hawk 5
Mississippi Kite 635
Swallow-tailed Kite 12
American Kestrel 4
Peregrine Falcon 1
Merlin 1
Osprey 1
Northern Harrier 1

Sue

Susan A. Heath, Ph.D.
Avian Conservation Biologist
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 W. Hwy 332
Lake Jackson, TX 77566
979-480-0999
Join us in our quest to study and conserve birds and their habitat around
the Gulf of Mexico.
www.gcbo.org
Sign-Up for our monthly E-News Letter
http://www.gcbo.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/205/MenuGroup/Home.htm