[texbirds] Smith Point Hawk Watch 8/27/12 (2263 raptors)

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 18:13:53 -0500

TexBirders,

We had our first really good day at Smith Point today. Lots of kites of both
varieties and our first kestrel. Numbers in parenthesis are the year's total.
We've only had over 100 Swallow-tailed Kites in a season 3 times before so this
year makes 4. Come on out and enjoy!

Osprey 1 (3)
Swallow-tailed Kite 48 (118)
Mississippi Kite 2063 (2082)
Bald Eagle (1)
Northern Harrier 2 (3)
Sharp-shinned Hawk (2)
Cooper's Hawk 5 (13)
Red-shouldered Hawk 2 (4)
Broad-winged Hawk 130 (293)
Swainson's Hawk 11 (53)
White-tailed Hawk (8)
Red-tailed Hawk (2)
Unidentified buteo (3)
American Kestrel 1 (1)
Peregrine Falcon (2)
Unidentified falcon (2)

We have lots of days without coverage in September so please let me know if you
would like to volunteer to count. We had 7 or 8 days with no coverage in August
so these totals aren't what they could be!

Sue

Susan A. Heath, Ph.D.
Avian Conservation Biologist
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 W. Hwy 332
Lake Jackson, TX 77566
979-480-0999
Join us in our quest to study and conserve birds and their habitat around the
Gulf of Mexico.
www.gcbo.org
Sign-Up for our monthly E-News Letter
http://www.gcbo.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/205/MenuGroup/Home.htm