[texbirds] Smith Point Hawk Watch

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 14:49:18 -0500

TexBirders,

Preparations are underway for the 17th season at the Smith Point Hawk Watch.
We are thrilled to have Tony Leukering returning as counter this year. We
hope to begin the count in early August with volunteers until Tony's arrival
in mid-August. If you would like to volunteer, please e-mail me and let me
know. This year we will have a daily blog to keep everyone updated on the
happenings at the Point. More on that as the count gets closer. Also this
year we are hosting a Raptor ID Workshop the last weekend in September with
Tony as instructor. Space is limited to 25 participants so if you're
interested check out the information on our website:

http://www.gcbo.org/html/RaptorIDWorkshopFlyerforweb.pdf

I'm looking forward to visiting with everyone again this year! All you field
trip leaders - can you let me know when you will have field trips coming to
Smith Point so I can put them on the schedule? Thanks.

As always we would like to thank Texas Parks and Wildlife Department for
their support at Candy Abshier WMA where the count is held and to Ann
Abshier and Jerry Blackstone for their support hosting our trailer on their
property. We have several new sponsors this year including NRG Energy, Union
Pacific Railroad, and Samson Energy.

Sue

Susan A. Heath, PhD
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory