[texbirds] Smith County birds today

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 09:41:05 -0500

On CR113, south of Tyler, I was amazed to see a covey of 19 Northern Bobwhite running around by the roadside. In the bottomland nearby, I had nice looks at a Kentucky Warbler and a Hairy Woodpecker, and heard a Louisiana Waterthrush. Although these are regular breeding and resident (Hairy W) birds, I don't often see them in August. A Baltimore Oriole was the only migrant passerine around. Nearby, on CR 129, 13 Mississippi Kites had taken over a field and were perched in snags and hunting over the field.

Peter Barnes
Tyler