[texbirds] Slaty-backed Gull at Lake Casa Blanca SP - February 15th

  • From: Erik Breden <erik.breden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 21:51:50 -0600

TexBirders,
As has already been reported, the Slaty-backed Gull was present at
Lake Casa Blanca State Park in Laredo in the early afternoon.

I arrived about 12:30 PM and slowly drove along the dam to the boat
launch area without seeing any good candidates. I drove back to the
Lago Vista overlook and set up my scope and camera. Still no bird.
Two birders (Randy Pinkston and Byron Stone?) arrived shortly
thereafter and found the bird near the reeds at the northwest portion
of the lake. I wondered if there was a contractual obligation that
the bird doesn't show unless there is more than 1 birder?  8^)

Within minutes the bird took flight and flew in a long circuitous
route toward the boat ramp and finally toward us. It landed on its
"favorite" buoy and posed for photos. At one point a Herring Gull
displaced it for a few minutes, but quickly returned to the buoy when
it was vacated.

Does it bother anyone else that this bird is not "black" or at least
"charcoal" on its back, but rather just a dark gray? I've seen this
species in Alaska and Japan, and the adults are black. Here's a photo
from Japan:

http://www.otterside.com/slidejpg/gullsb-l.jpg

Photos from today are up at:

www.otterside.com/winter2014