[texbirds] Slaty-backed Gull at Lake Casa Blanca, 2/10/14

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 16:22:29 -0500 (EST)

Wow, my great run of gull luck continues for 2014 with Susan Foster's find of
the adult Salty-backed Gull at Lake Casa Blanca State Park.  And thanks to
Holly Reinhard for getting some photos.  I arrived at the park at 7:20 AM as a
flock of about 80 gulls headed south to the landfill.  I could imagine the
Slaty-back being with them.  But not to worry, about half an hour later I found
the Slaty-backed Gull resting on the water from a viewpoint a couple of hundred
yards before the boat ramp.  It was 80-100 yards offshore.  I watched it about
45 minutes before it allowed me to get some flight shots.  These photos aren't
great but show the field marks.  The wide white fringe on the trailing edge of
the wing bifurcates into a row of terminal and subterminal white spots on the
primaries.  It hung around on the middle of the lake for another hour before
disappearing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58723772@N07/sets/72157640796635654/

Other stuff seen included Western Grebe, Eared Grebe, two Bonaparte's Gulls,
Black Phoebe, Purple Martin and Barn Swallow.

Might be a good idea to get there when the gate opens at 7 AM before the gulls
take off for the dump.  Or be there late when they get back.

Good luck.

Dan Jones, Weslaco