[texbirds] Skimmer and Tern rookery

  • From: Ruth Friedrichs <twofried@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 08:37:57 -0700 (PDT)

Monday, May 27.
I took the boat out on Tres Palacios Bay on Memorial Day.  Started at 11am and
fnished at 3pm.  The tide was really high so many beaches and sand bars were
mostly underwater.  Many of the ones that weren't had boaters/families on them
enjoying the nice day on the bay.

Managed 3 pair of Am Oystercatchers and a lone Wilson's Plover.  Drove the boat
by the skimmer and tern rookery.  The island looks smaller this year (coastal
erosion taking a toll?).  The rookery was a bit smaller too.  From the water,
it
was difficult to get an accurate count but there seemed to be about 40 Black
Skimmers, 20 Gull-billed Terns and 8 Laughing Gulls.  In previous years the
'terns' were Sandwich and there were no gulls.  It seems a shift-change has
occurred with the Gull-billed Terns replacing the Sandwich Terns.

In addition to Gull-billed Tern at the rookery, I also saw, on the bay, Least
Tern (30+), Foresters Tern (4), Royal Tern (8), Caspian tern (2), Sandwich Tern
(1).  No Frigatebirds trailing the shrimpers in from the Gulf but plenty of
Laughing Gulls.

In the reeds and marshes, the Willet folks 'were' willeting around and quite
territorial; even saw a pair chasing a low-flying Turkey Vulture.  The Clapper
Rails were clapping to one another; I guess the high tide had them stirred-up
too.  I actually expected to see some rails due to the very high tides but no
luck; heard only.  There was a beautiful male Boat-tailed Grackle singing and
displaying in the reeds for 3 females; quite a show.

Otherwise the usual suspects (see below).  Oh, I did wet a bait and managed 1
slot redfish, but the birding was more productive than the fishing.

Great Blue Heron (3)
Tri-colored Heron (2)
Little Blue Heron (1)
Green Heron (1)