[texbirds] Shorebirds at Cayo del Grullo, Riviera, TX - Monday May 4th

  • From: Erik Breden <erik.breden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 20:37:16 -0500

TexBirders,

Cinco de Mayo! Party hearty!

On Monday, May 4th, Rex and Birgit Stanford and I shorebirded
south-central Kleberg County between Riviera and the Cayo del Grullo.
We didn't find large numbers of birds with the exception of 400 to
500 Fulvous Whistling-Ducks...with a flock of 50 to 150 on almost
every pond we scanned.

We began the day at the Progresso sod fields, where Dan Jones had
seen Hudsonian Godwits and Buff-breasted Sandpipers the night before.
They were still there, with 6 Hudwits and at least 25 Buffies. We
then headed north to Kleberg County.

On the day we saw 20 shorebird species:

Black-bellied Plover (4)
Wilson's Plover (2)